The main eggs humans eat are chicken eggs. Other eggs eaten by humans include goose eggs, duck eggs, ostrich eggs, wild bird eggs, and fish eggs (caviar).
There are many different varieties and farming method of chicken eggs.
Vegans do not eat eggs for many reasons:
- Only hens can lay eggs, so most male chicks born in an egg farm are tossed into a grinder (see video: Undercover Investigation at Hy-Line Hatchery).
- Hens are slaughtered into low grade meat when their egg production starts to drop.
- Most eggs come from factory farms where hens are kept in cages and poor living conditions.
- Eggs are high in cholesterol and saturated fat, which can contribute to heart disease.
- Harvesting caviar requires killing and cutting open the fish.