What we refer to as the cow, is actually the species cattle, cow being the female, bull the male. Like humans the cow is a mammal.
- There are 1.3 billion cattle in the world. India 400 million, USA 100 million, Brazil 150 million, China 150 million, Europe 130 million.
- The global trade in beef is over $30 billion and represents only 23 percent of total world beef production. Trade in dairy products in also in the same range.
- Cattle are responsible for 18% of greenhouse gases.
- The gestation period for a cow is nine months, the same as a human.
- A adult cow weighs from 600 to 900 kg (1,300 to 1,900 lb).
- Cattle usually live up to about 15 years (sometimes as much as 25 years).